Three of the teenagers accused of stabbing handyman Paul Thrower, above, to death in an axe attack outside his home in Hayes denied murder today (Thursday, May 29).
Mr Thrower, 46, suffered knife and axe injuries after an argument outside his flat in St Dunstan’s Close on February 20. He suffered more than a dozen wounds to his body and head.
Kiro Halliburton, 18, of Tollgate Drive, Hayes, and three other teenagers, one aged 16 and the other two 17, appeared in court via videolink from Feltham young offenders’ institution.
Mr Halliburton has not yet entered a plea. The others, who cannot be named for legal reasons because of their age, denied murder.
The father of three had confronted a group of youths about their behaviour towards his girlfriend earlier that day, the Old Bailey was told, as the three teens appeared by videolink.
Prosecutor Jacob Hallam said the prosecution case was that the four of them took part in different ways in the murder ‘in what was a group attack.’
Police were called to the block of flats, pictured above, shortly before 9.35pm on February 20. Mr Thrower was taken to hospital but was pronounced dead at 11.34pm.
A post-mortem gave the cause of death as a single stab wound to the heart.
Mr Thrower had lived in the flat for for two to three years, his mother, Margaret, told the Uxbridge Gazette on the day after his death, and would often have his girlfriend come to stay.
The pair also regularly attended Elim Pentecostal Church, and the family has been supported by the church pastor, the Rev Ray Smith, since the death.
Mr Halliburton and his co-defendants – two from Hayes and the other from Uxbridge – were remanded in custody.
Their trial, expected to last up to five weeks, was fixed for Monday, October 20.