"Don't let the b******s grind you down," added Councillor Richard Barnes this week, although he used the cod Latin phrase, 'Nil illegitimus carborundum'.
Along with fellow Tory, Andrew Retter (Northwood Hills), the Harefield ward member has announced his intention to appeal last week's decision to de-select him from the party's candidate list for next year's local elections.
The pair were told the news in interviews with the leader of Hillingdon Council, Ray Puddifoot, on Wednesday and Thursday last week, and say they are ‘shocked’ at the decision.
The reasons for their removal are unclear, although Mr Puddifoot has said he wants the strongest possible team to fight the election next May, when all the seats of the borough are up for grabs.
A total of 13 Tory councillors have either been de-selected or have chosen not to stand.
Mr Barnes, a former deputy chairman of the Metropolitan Police Authority, was on his way to the black tie Pride Gala dinner at Claridge's when the Gazette spoke to him. He said he feels ‘coldly angry’ about the situation.
"I have served the local community for over 30 years," he said.
"I’ve debated and crossed swords with giants within the political field, so to be beaten down by four pygmies – not even the local people – is galling to say the least."
A panel of four members, including Mr Puddifoot, made the candidate selection decision, before passing the list to the borough Conservative associations for their approval.
Mr Barnes said he believed in local democracy, and therefore 'the people' should say how the council should be run, not those in power. With Mr Retter he is to appeal to Conservative central office.
Mr Puddifoot said the only basis for appeal would be if the process of de-selection had been flawed or biased in some way, and it had not.
"There is no appeal [otherwise], we have checked that out with [Conservative] central office. The process goes on," he said.
"From my perspective as leader I am out of it and it is now with the associations.
"They [Mr Retter and Mr Barnes] have both lodged an appeal against the process but it was solid."
Mr Retter, below , said this week: “The only people in my eyes who have a right to say: ‘You’re not a councillor’ are my residents.”
"I was told that we would be back in power at the next election but with a greatly reduced number of councillors.
"Ray admitted we would lose seats in the next election, which as a professional politician you do not do.”
The borough Conservative group met on Monday, and it was thought there might be an announcement explaining the decision.
"No statement was made at all," said Mr Retter. "Everyone knew about it from the grapevine but nothing was announced and people said it was weird."
He said he had felt in a state of limbo since he heard the news.
"It’s been traumatic for the family, and it certainly wasn’t the most inspiring few days to go through," he said, "although I can’t believe the support I am being shown from residents in Northwood Hills."