A baby and four adults were rescued from a flat fire that started when cooking was left unattended.
Two adults and a baby were hoisted from the roof of a first floor flat in Cromwell Road, Earls Court, on Monday night (Jan 06), by crews using a turntable ladder.
Another couple were freed from inside the building by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus.
All five were taken to hospital and treated for smoke inhalation.
The cause of the fire is believed to be cooking left unattended on a hob.
Robert Poeti, watch manager from Kensington fire station who was at the scene, warned people of the dangers of cooking when tired or under the influence of alcohol.
“It looks like the fire was caused by cooking that had been left on the hob,” he said.
“It’s really important to make sure you keep a close eye on your cooking – turn the heat off if you have to leave the room and avoid cooking while tired or tipsy. “Cooking is one of the main causes of accidental fires in London homes – taking a bit of extra care can help keep you, your family, and your neighbours safe.
“If you have had a few drinks, it’s much safer to get a takeaway than to attempt to cook.”
Four fire engines from Kensington, Hammersmith and Fulham fire stations were sent to tackle the blaze which started at about 9.55pm. It was under control within an hour.
The first floor flat suffered partial damage during the blaze.