CAMPAIGNERS have vowed to appeal after Culture Secretary Ben Bradshaw decided against listing a historic chapel at the famous Chelsea barracks.
On November 26, the owners of the Chelsea Bridge Road site were told that the secretary of state will not list the Victorian garrison church – which was built in 1859 and has served generations of borough-based troops.
The church currently stands alone amongst the rubble of the barracks, which were demolished last year after the armed forces moved out of the grounds.
The Chelsea Barracks Action Group (CBAG) has pledged to appeal against the decision, which representatives describe as a 'devastating' blow.
Georgine Thorburn, from the group, said: "The church is such a landmark site. It is so representative of all our soldiers throughout history who have left from these barracks. It's a symbol of the whole of Chelsea."
The failed listing was also supported by the Victoria and Albert Museum, the Victorian Society, Ancient Monuments Society, Friends of Sloane Square and the Bishop of London amongst others.
A spokesman from the Department of Culture, Media and Sport confirmed the decision and said that 'the building was not thought to be of significant architectural or historical importance.'
He added that an appeal should only be lodged if an issue hasn't been taken into account during the listing process, rather than 'if people simply don't agree.'
The Chelsea Barracks Partnership, acting on behalf of owners Qatari Diar, said that it 'welcomed the decision'.
A spokesman explained: "This means we can progress with the development of the master plan for the site, which is being consulted on with the local community. At this stage, no decision has been made regarding the future of the chapel."
Protesters have 21 days in which to submit an appeal.