HOUNSLOW Council has been awarded £300,000 to help reduce the number of homeless families living in B&Bs across the borough.
It is one of seven local authorities to receive a share of £1.9 million in government funding, announced today (Thursday, August 1), to address the issue.
Hounslow has the country's third highest number of families living in bed and breakfast accommodation, according to the latest government statistics.
A total of 52 families in the borough had been in B&Bs for six or more weeks, the maximum length permitted by the Government, as of December 31, 2012 - higher than all but Croydon and Barking & Dagenham.
Council leaders agreed in June to house people outside the borough in a bid to deal with growing homelessness.
Announcing the latest cash boost, communities minister Don Foster said it should be used to get families unlawfully stuck in unsuitable accommodation into stable homes.
He also called on councils to put measures in place to ensure more families do not end up facing long stays in B&Bs in future.
"Today's £1.9 million funding will help to get families across the country out of bed and breakfast accommodation and into stable homes," he said.
"But this isn’t just a short-term fix about cutting numbers - I want these councils to find long-term solutions to homelessness in their areas.
"They have a legal duty to help these families, and with this funding I expect them to ensure that no family need ever be stuck in this unsuitable accommodation for weeks on end."
Half the money will be provided up front, with the rest dependent on the success of the measures put in place.
The Government hopes innovative schemes developed using the money can be shared with other local authorities.