A BLAZE started by a faulty generator destroyed parts of the building site of Ealing's biggest private housing development on Sunday morning (4).
Four fire engines were called to Dickens Yard in Ealing Broadway just after 7.30am after a fire broke out on the ground floor level of one of the eight-storey apartment blocks under construction.
Despite the snow, around 25 firefighters fought the blaze which was under control by 9am and no injuries were reported.
Witnesses who contacted the Gazette initially reported that the generator had exploded, but this is still to be confirmed. Reader James Hawksley sent us these dramatic photos of the scene, and Simon Kirk recorded a short video of smoke billowing from the Dickens Yard site.
A London Fire Brigade spokesman said: "There was a generator alight on the building site. It destroyed an area of 50ft x 50ft, about one fifth of the ground floor. There were no reports of people involved."
The first tenants are due to move into the £200million development of 700 luxury apartments this autumn. It is yet unknown how much the fire will set back construction.
The developer, St George West London, has still to comment.
We will bring you more as we get it.