As always, the New Year encourages a mass of self-made promises that, quite frankly, are hardly ever followed through. But now is as good a time as any to reassess your style and the best place to start is your wardrobe.
Think about what makes you feel comfortable and confident - so, while you are fighting your way through your wardrobe, be realistic (and ruthless!) and get rid of items you don't wear. Undoubtedly, there are certain garments which could do with a little updating, so get yourself down a haberdashery store or find a tailor.
Examining your wardrobe should be fun and will doubtless dig out a few fashion don'ts!
For 2009 there are a few fashion resolutions that every woman can stick to:
* Dress fabulously every single day: This does not suggest full blown red carpet glamour. All it means is wear a nice outfit everyday, so you feel great about yourself. Granted, we all have our bad days but we do not have to take it out on our clothes. [
* Wear more colour: We are all guilty of picking that fail-safe black top when we can't think of something to wear. However, limit yourself to wearing that item one day a week. Incorporating a bit of colour into your outfit will make you feel perkier.
* Think about your outfits in advance: So you said you would be ready by 8pm but now it's 8.15pm and you still haven't found something to wear. If this situation sounds familiar, take note and plan your outfit before hand.
* Invest in timeless key pieces: We are all feeling the pinch of the credit crunch so when shopping, think about items that are transitional through the seasons. Such items include a crisp white shirt, a pair of jeans or a little black dress. If you know that you will wear the item a year later regardless of what trends say, then snap it up!
* Own AT LEAST one pair of statement shoes: If you feel like you have absolutely nothing to wear, dress in neutral colours and wear eye-catching shoes that do all the talking. It's the simplest way to achieve maximum results with minimum effort.