What's going on in Hillingdon's music scene this week? Hughie Dixon is on hand to tell you:
First off this week I'd like to draw your attention to The Late Day Breakers from Watford. They played a powerful set in Camden on Friday (March 20) when I went to see local ladies Lips support them at The Barfly.
Some soul, some ska, some rock but all had a unique LDB stamp. Plus they've added a horn section since I last caught them some five years ago at The Crown and Treaty in Uxbridge. The Late Day Breakers will enhance your aural senses no end and I believe they'll be back at The Crown and Treaty very soon.
Speaking of that very pub on Oxford Road, this Friday (March 27) at around 10.30pm you can treat yourself and experience a fine couple of creative musicians Alfie Pawsey and Joe Bailey, collectively known as Hard Actors.
Labeling themselves, somewhat unjustly I fancy, as indie pop, this duo hail from East Anglia. Within their repertoire are some very well-rehearsed and well-arranged songs that instantly resound like classics to the listener who may be waiting for the rest of the world to catch on.
Vocally and harmonically precise they generate an atmosphere of nostalgia for when the pop musician was the true artist before the industry gave themselves way too much control. Hints of The Style Council, Radiohead and Marillion surface here and there. It's free entry to the Crown and Treaty before 10pm and £5 after.
Friday March 27:
- Purple Cobras @ The Brook House, Kingshill Avenue, Hayes
- The Reggulaters @ The Carpenters Arms, Uxbridge Road, Hayes
- True Gold (Tribute) @ Tropic, Grosvenor Vale, Ruislip
- Jump The Gun @ The Crock of Gold, High Street, Ruislip
Saturday 28th March:
- Undersound @ Ryan's Bar, Boston Road, Hanwell
- Pack of Lies @ The Six Bells, Station Road, West Drayton
- The Stiles Band, The Three Steps, High Street, Cowley
- The Flyers @ Hayes and Harligton Conservative Club, Church Road, Hayes
- Little Rock @ Ye Olde Crowne, Station Approach, Hayes
- Tail-Gator @ The General Eliott, St Johns Road, Uxbridge
- Bible Code Sundays @ The Brook House, Kingshill Avenue, Hayes
Open Mic/Jam Sessions
- 8pm Tuesdays @ The Old Crown, Station Road, Hayes Town
- 9pm Wednesdays @ The White Bear, Ickenham Road, Ruislip
- 6.30pm Thursdays @ Harris And Hoole Coffee Shop, opp Uxbridge Station
- 8pm First Thursday of each month @ The Crown And Treaty, Oxford Road, Uxbridge
- 8pm Last Thursday of each month @ The Brook House, Kingshill Avenue, Hayes