Tucked away in a corner of the RSPCA Cat Adoption Centre sit four cats with one thing in common.
They all came into the care of the animal charity after being found injured, most likely in a road accident.
There’s Stevie with a fractured jaw, Harley with a fractured pelvis, Jamie who’s lost an eye and Juice who’s lost a leg. Juice is one of the friendliest cats I’ve met.
Leg off, protective collar on, he couldn’t wait for me to sit down so he could hop onto my lap.
If you want a friendly cat with three legs, rush down to the Adoption Centre, before someone else snaps this sweetheart up – but drive carefully.
Bev Leavy, the centre manager, says she has noticed an increase in the number of cats arriving there after being involved in a road accident.
Often these cats are just found injured with the person who hit them not having done the decent thing and stopped.
Take Juice, he was found in March, bleeding and in shock at the side of the busy Old Oak Lane at 8.30am.
Taken to the RSPCA Harmsworth Animal Hospital, he was treated there for two weeks before being moved to the Adoption Centre at Southall.
Immediately they described him as a sweet gentle boy who needs love, talking to and ear scratches. And that is just what I found when I met him.
Road to recovery
But after he arrived, staff at Southall noticed his left back leg was not healing and he was taken to Putney Animal Hospital where, towards the end of April, his leg was amputated. He is now back at Southall and healing well.
It’s been a long road of recovery for Juice but he’s travelling it well and is now ready for his new home.
If you would like to meet him or Jamie, Harley and Stevie plus lots of cats who haven’t been in road accidents, they are waiting for you at the RSPCA Cat Adoption Centre, Burket Close, Southall UB2 4JS.
And cats don’t just have road accidents.
The RSPCA have just rescued an injured cat whose tail had to be amputated after being trapped in a carelessly discarded baby gate.
They remind us that unwanted items can be dangerous to animals and we need to dispose of them properly.