Antonio Conte has reiterated his belief that Chelsea still need further reinforcements before the closure of the transfer window.

The Blues boss watched his team make the perfect start to the Premier League season on Monday as they triumphed 2-1 over West Ham in their opening game.

Eden Hazard and Diego Costa appeared to have rediscovered the form that proved so elusive last term to give Blues fans hope of a more positive campaign in 2016/17.

However, the new head coach is not reading too much into one result and remains keen to add to the squad while he could yet allow a few fringe players head out the door.

Reports this week have suggested Chelsea could spend more than £100million in the final two weeks of the window as the August 31 deadline looms large on the horizon.

Kalidou Koulibaly is Conte’s top target as he looks to strengthen a defence containing John Terry, Gary Cahill and Branislav Ivanovic, all of whom are now over the age of 30.

Summer arrival: Michy Batshuayi of Chelsea in action
New boy: N'Golo Kante of Chelsea in action

Conte has spent just shy of £70 million to bring in Michy Batshuayi and the energetic N’Golo Kante to Chelsea but has urged Roman Abramovich to keep splashing the cash.

Conte said ahead of Saturday’s trip to Watford: “It's very difficult to speak about the transfer policy before the game.

“It's important to speak about the players with the club at the right moment', he said ahead of the clash at Watford.

“I repeat, we are waiting for the right solution to improve Chelsea. We need to sign some players, we are working together.

“I think now is very difficult to put a real target for the squad. We are starting after a bad season, the players are the same.”

Video: Antonio Conte's rumoured Chelsea targets

Video thumbnail, Antonio Conte's rumoured Chelsea targets
Video Loading

Loic Remy and Colombian winger Juan Cuadrado are two names to have been mentioned as possible departures.

Cuadrado, in particular, appears close to sealing a loan exit after Juventus admitted they are interested in re-signing the player.

The Colombian’s agent was due in London for talks with Chelsea on Friday but Conte was not willing to offer any concrete information on the speedy wide-man’s future.

Conte said: “For Cuadrado, we are waiting on the situation. It must become more clear about his position at the club. Now he is Chelsea’s player and today he had training with us.

“The transfer policy is right to speak to the club. I have contact every day and I repeat that we must search to find the sort of solution to buy and to sell.”

poll loading

Where do Chelsea need to strengthen?

1000+ VOTES SO FAR