Chelsea 0-3 Manchester City
Sergio Aguero was Manchester City’s hat-trick hero as 10-man Chelsea well comprehensively beaten at Stamford Bridge.
The prolific City marksman scored all three goals in a 3-0 triumph for Manuel Pellegrini’s side as they continue their quest for Champions League qualification.
Diego Costa returned the the starting XI after serving his suspension as Guus Hiddink fielded a strong line-up in west London.
John Terry and Eden Hazard remained sidelined through injury although Oscar’s omission was a talking point after he was reportedly spotted leaving the ground before kick-off.
There were early chances at both ends as Aguero blazed wide and Pedro was denied the opener by Nicolas Otamendi’s goal-line clearance at the other end.
It was a bright start by the Blues and Costa showed no signs of early rust by dinking the ball over Joe Hart, only for the linesman to raise his flag for a marginal offside decision.
Thibaut Courtois, back in the team after being rested for last week’s defeat at Swansea, produced a couple of brilliant one-on-one saves to keep the visitors at bay.
But there was nothing he could do to prevent Aguero curling in a deflected opening goal after Kevin De Bruyne showed good awareness to play in the Argentine.
The Belgian was absolutely lethal on the break and it was no surprise to see him heavily involved as Man City made it two shortly after the interval.
De Bruyne picked up the ball on the edge of his own penalty area and started the move which was finished emphatically by the free-scoring Aguero.
Guus Hiddink threw on Bertrand Traore and winger Kenedy midway through the second half in attempt to salvage something from the game.
However, the game was up by that point and the interim Dutch manager’s second Premier League defeat since returning to the club was already beyond rescue.
To compound Chelsea’s misery, Thibaut Courtois was given his marching orders for bringing down Fernandinho and Aguero converted the spot-kick to claim the match ball.
Chelsea: Courtois, Ivanovic, Fabregas, Rahman, Mikel (Begovic), Pedro (Traore), Costa, Willian (Kenedy), Cahill, Azpilicueta, Loftus-Cheek.
Subs: (not used): Falcao, Pato, Miazga, Matic.
Watch: Guus Hiddink reflects on heavy defeat to Man City
- Watch: Jose Mourinho refuses to sign Chelsea shirt0:23
- Antonio Conte bids farewell to Italy1:31
- Andy Murray Highlights from Round Two0:36
- Watch: Kurt Zouma on the Chelsea comeback trail0:30
- AFC Wimbledon 0-1 Portsmouth video pics1:15
- Guus Hiddink before Man City game18:00
- Romelu Lukaku Transfer Profile0:56
- Dean Smith pre Bristol City press conference9:26
- Missing 17-year-old Ayan0:33
- Watch: Weather forecast for Thursday 30th March
- CCTV footage of bar brawl at Be At One in Leicest0:10
- Stefan Johansen aims for promotion2:52
- Thousands turn out at Wembley Park for Color Run1:37