Andy Scott has been given the green light to sign another striker for Brentford if Alan Connell leaves.
One of the forward's former clubs AFC Bournemouth, have already made their interest in resigning Connell clear and had one bid turned down.
And it looks like his future will now rest on the south coast side making the right bid before the transfer window slam shut at midnight on Monday.
But Connell will only leave if the price is right, and Brentford have made it clear there is no pressure on boss Scott to sell.
A club insider said: "Andy needs a 21-man squad in order to challenge, and if a quality striker leaves he will need to be replaced by another quality striker."
Connell himself remained tight-lipped about the possible move when contacted by the Chronicle, only saying: "It's something I'd rather not talk about right now."
However, a Bournemouth source revealed the 25-year-old, who played for the Cherries from 2002-2005, would be open to a return to the Fitness First Stadium.
Our source said: "Alan has married a Bournemouth girl and there were Bournemouth players at his wedding, and he let it be known if the chance came up to come back, he would be interested.
"They are just waiting to sell Jo Kuffour to Bristol Rovers or Colchester first."
Connell was one of the few success stories of last season at Brentford, scoring with some sublime efforts among his 12 goals.
And he looked set to continue in the same manner this season after bagging six goals during pre-season.
But he has sat on the bench for the last three games since a return from injury for Charlie MacDonald, who Scott has favoured alongside Nathan Elder.
Scott admitted Bournemouth had been in touch and did not rule out Connell leaving.
He said: "There's been a bit of interest in a couple of our players, but unless it's the right deal for the player and our club, there won't be one.
"I have been speaking to Bournemouth, but nothing has materialised. I haven't spoken to Alan about it yet, there's no need to.
"He came on at Barnet on Saturday and did well, and his attitude has been first class. He wants to get back in the side.
He is very level-headed and just gets on with the job.
"But compared to last year, when there was no interest in our players, it shows the progress we are making."
What is more clear cut is Scott wants to keep on-loan centre-backs Alan Bennett and James Wilson - who this week got a Wales U21 call-up - for longer if he can.
The pair are on loan for a month, from Reading and Bristol City respectively, and have formed an impressive partnership at the heart of the back four.
Both told the Chronicle last week they'd like to stay for longer, but Scott admitted a deal for Wilson is the more likely.
He said: "They have formed a very good partnership, and if we could keep them both it'd be brilliant. I think a deal for James will be easier.
"I have spoken to Bristol City a few times about him, and if we can sort something out that'd be great, but it's early stages.
"He trains part of the week with City before spending the rest of the week with us, and has said he's real-ly enjoying it here.
"We're still waiting to see what will happen with Alan, and I've not talked to Reading yet."
Sorting out extended loans for the pair if possible is likely, Connell's future aside, to be Brentford's only business before the end of the transfer window - although loan deals can still be made after it is shut.
Scott added: "I am happy with what I've got, especially when we get out injured players back."