Since the Dutchman was sacked there have been a number of stories relating to how the decisions were made and, most importantly, when they were made.
And Ferdinand was happy to clarify those issues in a discussion with representatives of the local media.
Reports had suggested that the board wanted Hasselbaink sacked after the 2-0 defeat to Brentford but, instead, decided to give him the Nottingham Forest game.
Ferdinand refuted those claims but intimated that doubts had come into the club's mind after that defeat.
He said: “Emotions were quite high after the Brentford game and people were going on Twitter saying all sorts of things had happened.
“The owners hadn't decided that they wanted to get rid of Jimmy although things weren't going in the right direction.
“We monitored things after the Brentford game and where we thought the club was going and what we needed to do.”
Ferdinand was reputed to have told Hasselbaink he was being sacked five minutes after the 1-1 draw at Nottingham Forest with the decision coming from above at half-time.
While the director of football accepts that the Dutchman probably knew what was coming after their chat, he denies that it was so soon after the game.
He added: “As always, I go into the changing rooms after the game. I went in and said to Jimmy I need to meet you at the training ground. I never come back to the training ground.
“The mere fact that I said I needed to see him there I think he sussed what was going on. The rumour we sacked him five minutes after the game was absolute nonsense.”
He added: “The decision came at the end of the game. The owners weren't happy and it was the right time to do it, going into the international break. If there was a time to do it, this was that.”
Ferdinand and the QPR supremos kicked the tyres over who to replace Hasselbaink soon after and Ian Holloway's name was only mentioned when they found out he was interested.
Ferdinand said: “To be honest, his name didn't come up for a long time until we were made aware that Ian would be interested.
“Last time, when we were looking for a manager, his name didn't come up as we knew he was comfortable at Sky.
“The reason why his name came up was he'd promised Sky he was going to be there for a year. This time, he'd said the only club he'd leave for was QPR.
“We were made aware of that so contact was made. We had the conversation and what we're trying to do.
“He was excited by the group of players and felt he could make them better. He understands the football club and the fans and what was needed. It was an obvious choice for us.”
- Tom Moore gives his verdict on Brentford's press 1:58
- Dean Smith's pre QPR press conference in full10:12
- Romaine Sawyers press conference ahead of Brentfo7:07
- Dean Smith's discusses Welcome Home King Jota0:52
- Brentford and QPR reporters discuss the big west 10:20
- Season so far Fulham QPR Brentford UPDATED1:01
- Barnsley 1-1 Brentford verdict1:03
- QPR reporter Mark Ritson reviews the 2-1 defeat t2:56
- Tom Moore post Brentford 4-0 Derby0:57
When his name was put to Fernandes, Ferdinand revealed: “He did a few somersaults and cartwheels and when he landed, he thought it was the right choice.”
Negotiations were relatively swift and Holloway was in place by Friday evening.
Ferdinand revealed: “When someone shows a desire to go back somewhere or be somewhere, the money is irrelevant.
“In terms of talks, he knew the direction the club want to go in and where we are and how we're trying to do it. There were no demands made – it was about getting in as quickly as possible.”
Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app. You can even set it to receive push notifications for all the breaking news in your area.