Hampton & Richmond Borough were not hit in the pocket by Ben Wright's failed transfer to Fulham, writes Tim Street.
The teenage striker's five-division leap to the Premiership fell through last week, and Wright instead jumped three leagues by joining Peterborough United.
Hampton were anticipating breaking their record for transfer fees received - which stood at £40,000 when QPR signed Leroy Griffiths in 2001 - by taking a healthy wedge from Fulham's coffers.
But any fears Beavers fans had that the club would be left short in the pocket when the move bit the dust have been eased.
Hampton secretary Les Rance said: "Although the fee Peterborough paid us is undisclosed, it still beats the previous record of £40,000.
"There are a few adds-ons too, including a fee if he plays for England U21s, so it's still a good deal for us, and may be an even better deal for Ben as he has a better chance of first-team football at Peterborough."
The official line given for the original transfer breaking down was Wright failing a medical at Craven Cottage.
But the Chronicle can reveal Fulham dropped out as they thought Wright would have little chance of breaking into their first-team.
Whites boss Roy Hodgson said: "It wasn't the case that he failed a medical, it was more of a case that I wasn't convinced.
"Ben came down to us for two or three days, and if I found we had a wonder player on our hands then that would have been a good piece of luck.
"But he's been to a few professional clubs already and failed to win a contract.
"It was suggested we should look at him as Hampton are quite close and we have good connections with (Hampton boss) Alan Devonshire.
"But I knew Peterborough had been pursuing him for a while, and it seemed like the right thing to do to step aside.
"I'm not convinced, coming here at 21, it would have been easy for him to break into our first-team, and Peterborough seemed a better chance for him."
Meanwhile, Hampton continued life without Wright comfortably with a 2-0 Blue Square South win at Bromley on Saturday, in which Lawrence Yaku and Ian Hodges netted.
But Rance insisted Devonshire can still bring in a replacement for Wright.
He said: "Yaks and Hodgy scored the goals that got us to the play-offs last season, so it's not as if we're lacking in fire-power.
"However, the transfer window does not apply to Blue Square South, so I imagine Alan is having a look at strikers as we speak.
"We also have Sean MacAuley, but he is more of a midfielder, while Nana Badu has hardly played any games at this level."
ANOTHER player with a chance to make it into the professional game is Ashford Town (Middx) midfielder Ricky Wellard.
But his hopes took a hit this week when a runout for League Two side Aldershot Town's reserves against QPR was called off due to a frozen pitch.
Ashford boss Mark Butler said: "It's true Aldershot had Ricky for a couple of training sessions, and wanted to put him in a game to see what he can do.
"That isn't going to happen now. Will they come back at a later date? I can't say, and if they did Ashford wouldn't stand in his way.
"He's under contract, and that would mean a fee to us, but he's also an excellent player, and we don't want to lose those."
Byron Harrison netted as Ashford drew 1-1 with Carshalton in the Ryman Premier on Saturday, while Staines Town beat Hendon 2-0 on Friday night thanks to goals from Richard Butler and Howard Newton.