news

Unattended chip pan caused 'massive' takeaway fire in Uxbridge

Smoke could be seen billowing out of Hot Express in New Broadway on Sunday evening (August 27)

Fire crews were called to a fire in a pizza shop with flats above in New Broadway, in Uxbridge on Sunday evening (August 27)(Image: Met Police, Hillingdon)

A chip pan left unattended was the reason an Uxbridge pizza t akeaway was destroyed by flames , according to firefighters.

Smoke could be seen billowing out of Hot Express in New Broadway, off Uxbridge Road, on Sunday evening (August 27).

Two people left the pizza shop and one person left a flat above it before three dozen firefighters arrived at the scene.

Fire at takeaway in Uxbridge(Image: London Fire Brigade)

Six fire engines and 35 firefighters and officers were called to the fire at shortly after 7pm, which destroyed the ground floor shop and around 20% of the first and second floors.

London Fire Brigade believe the cause of the fire was a chip pan left unattended, giving a warning to "keep your eyes on your cooking pots".

Station manager Ben King, who was at the scene, said: “When they arrived, crews were confronted with flames coming out of the front of the shop but they acted quickly to limit the spread of the fire into the flats above the take-away.”

The brigade was called at 7.19pm and the fire was under control at 9.16pm.

Crews from Hillingdon , Hayes , Southall , Heathrow, Ruislip and Northolt fire stations attended the incident.

Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.

You can even set it to receive push notifications for all the breaking news in your area.

Available to download from the App Store or Google Play for Android now!

View full mobile page