A 15-year-old was disemboweled at this year’s Notting Hill Carnival , Metropolitan Police commissioner Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe has revealed.

He made the gruesome revelation when discussing crime and policing of Europe’s largest street party at a Q&A session for Hammersmith and Fulham and Kensington and Chelsea residents .

The out-going head of the Met also said overcrowding was a concern and that introducing a form of ticketing to the event, which was attended by an estimated one million people this year, could provide it with “a layer of control”.

Many people living near the carnival have complained of crime and antisocial behaviour (see video above) during the two-day festival, which takes place on the last weekend of August.

Discussing issues at the Q&A held at Vue cinema in Westfield shopping cinema on Tuesday (October 4) evening, he said the Met had written to local authority Kensington and Chelsea Council over issues .

Should the carnival remain in Notting Hill? Getwestlondon heads there to ask what people think

Video thumbnail, Notting Hill vox pop
Video Loading

Discussing the large crowds, Sir Bernard said “a large number of people in a small area” gave the Met “great concern”.

He said there were the same number of stabbings recorded in 2016 as 2015 (11) and then mentioned the shocking evisceration of the teen knife victim.

Sir Bernard believed the organisers of the carnival needed help managing it, and said a thorough review of the event was now being held with input from City Hall, The Met and organisers.

It is hoped the review will be completed by January 2017, when planning for the 2017 carnival begins in earnest.

He acknowledged the cost of policing the event was “very significant” with 9,000 police officers covering the event and claiming double pay for working the Bank Holiday Monday.

People living in Notting Hill are unhappy with crime and violence on their doorstep during the two-day carnival.

Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe, Metropolitan Police Commissioner, talking at the Q&A roadshow at Westfield shopping centre for H&F and K&C residents

Despite a pre-carnival crime crackdown , there was a record number of arrests reported at the 2016 event.

Kensington MP Victoria Borwick has previously spoken of ticketing the event, while others have suggested at least a partial relocation to Hyde Park.

However, there is also strong support for the carnival to remain where it is, with a petition set up calling for it to be UNESCO-protected .

The organisers have been approached for a comment.

• The Notting Hill Carnival organisers, London Notting Hill Carnival Enterprises Trust, is holding a post-Notting Hill Carnival Residents meeting on October 26.

It will be held in the Small Hall at Kensington Town Hall, Hornton Street, from 6.30pm to 8pm.

Anyone with a specific query they would like to raise with the organisers, Kensington & Chelsea Council or other public agency beforehand, should email carnival@rbkc.gov.uk