It is that time of the year when we are prone to catching the cold and flu .
No matter how warm we wrap up or how careful we are, with winter comes the flu bug.
While older people have weaker immune systems making them more susceptible to serious illnesses can be caught by anyone
While common colds can be cured with rest, over the counter medication and plenty of fluids, here are some useful tips and advice for people of all ages, put together with the help of Avant Healthcare Services in Hounslow .
- Get flu jab. The NHS offers a free annual flu jab for over 65s which can prevent serious illness developing.
- Keep hydrated . Keep your fluids topped up to fight off illness and to prevent dehydration which is when illness can thrive.
- Eat well. Maintain a balanced, healthy diet, with plenty of fruits, vegetables and whole grains to keep your immune system strong.
- Good hygiene. This is one of the most effective ways of protecting yourself from flu. Wash your hands regularly with soap and avoid touching your face directly.
- Rest. Get enough sleep to ensure your immune system works best when well rested.
The NHS has further advice on keeping healthy.
Hygiene is key to killing the germs.
Make sure hands are washed regularly with soap and warm water, and clean surfaces such as keyboard, telephone and door handles.
Also tissues should be used to cover mouths and noses when coughing or sneezing to prevent the spread of flu and bin tissues as soon as you can.
Antiviral medication can be taken if there is a lot of flu around, if someone is elderly or has a health condition, or has been in contact with someone with flu or has not had the vaccination.
Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.
You can even set it to receive push notifications for all the breaking news in your area.