Kensington and Chelsea Council has refused to comment after Chelsea received planning permission to build its new 60,000-seater stadium.

The local authority had objected to the £500 million project, which was given the go-ahead by Hammersmith and Fulham Council , and will see a new stadium built on the current Stamford Bridge site.

A spokesman for the Royal Borough said it had “nothing to add to the objections we have already made during the statutory process”.

The Stamford Bridge expansion green light was given at a planning and development control meeting on Wednesday (January 11) night.

The report in the agenda for the meeting, which was a whopping 330 pages, included objections, observations and representation from Kensington and Chelsea and other groups and organisations.

How Stamford Bridge will look following its £500 million redevelopment

The current Stamford Bridge capacity stands at 41,663.

A residents group has already said the new development should include an overground station to accommodate the extra fans attending on match days.

Kensington and Chelsea Council has similar public transport fears, claiming the application fails to demonstrate that the development would not have an unacceptable impact on the operation of Earl’s Court underground station.

It also has concerns about on-street parking on its roads, the adverse impact the development would have on its highways, and a lack of cycle parking spaces.

During the planning meeting, people living in the neighbouring Stamford Cottage area and The Billings Conservation Area also raised objections, which were supported by Kensington and Chelsea.

The council said in the report that “a significant increase in the sense of enclosure” would have “an unacceptable and harmful impact on the living conditions of occupiers” of the Stamford Cottage properties.

It added: “The proposed development by reason of its scale and visibility from The Billings Conservation Area and Brompton Cemetery Conservation Area would be harmful to the setting and views from these designated heritage assets failing to preserve or enhance their character, appearance or settings.”

The agenda also lists concerns raised by Friends of Brompton Cemetery, which fears a detrimental impact on Grade I listed conversation area and a severe impact on the skyline.

There is also an objection from the Earls Court Society, which has fears the ground capacity increase will have an adverse impact on the area.

Speaking after planning permission had been given, Hammersmith and Fulham Council leader Stephen Cowan said: “Chelsea’s new stadium will deliver some real benefits to the borough.

“But we have also made it clear to the club that we fully expect them to work with local residents to minimise the disruption of the works.

“We are happy to help usher in this exciting new phase in Chelsea FC’s history .

“And we will continue to work hard to deliver as many protections and benefits as possible for the area by working with the club and local residents.”

Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.

You can even set it to receive push notifications for all the breaking news in your area.

Available to download from the App Store or Google Play for Android now!