Plans to redevelop St Mary’s Hospital cleared a major hurdle when the NHS trust which runs it was given permission to build a new eight-story building.
Westminster City Council granted Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust planning permission in principal for the building on the eastern side of the estate at the location of Salton House, the Dumbell, and Victoria and Albert buildings, near the proposed Paddington Cube.
It will enable the trust to bring together the majority of St Mary’s outpatient services, and is intended to form the first phase of a redevelopment of the whole of the hospital’s site.
It follows engagement and consultation sessions by the trust, which saw patients and residents in the Paddington area help shape plans.
Developer contributions through a Section 106 must now be established, while stage two Mayoral approval is also needed.
Trust chief executive Ian Dalton said: “We’re very pleased that Westminster City Council has granted us planning permission in principle."
Features of the proposed building include:
- Eight storeys.
- Open and inviting walk-in entrances from Praed Street and South Wharf Road.
- Public courtyard linking both streets.
- Atrium at the centre of the building, drawing in light to create a welcoming environment.
- Pick up/drop off spaces on South Wharf Road, including hospital transport for patients.
- Ground floor reception, cafe, pharmacy and blood tests areas, for convenience.
- Flexible design, allowing space for specific clinics to be increased or decreased in response to need and enabling multiple uses where possible, including for research, teaching and health and wellbeing sessions.
"It will bring major benefits for our patients and local communities as a key step in enabling us to replace our ageing estate with facilities that reflect and support the fantastic care and innovative treatment provided by our staff," Mr Dalton said.
“The decision represents a huge amount of work on design and planning over the past two years and we are committed to continuing to involve staff, patients, carers, GPs, local residents and other stakeholders with an interest in the hospital’s future at every stage of the development.”
The redevelopment of the whole of the St Mary’s site will be subject to separate consultations and planning applications in the future.
The trust is also continuing to develop its funding options, working closely with key partners, Imperial Health Charity, NHS Improvement, NHS England and local clinical commissioning groups.
Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.
You can even set it to receive push notifications for all the breaking news in your area.