news

Shepherd's Bush fire: Hero 999 call handler saves life of man who woke up to find house in flames

The man was asleep when the fire started as there were no working smoke alarms in the property

A hero 999 call handler saved the life of a man who woke up to find his home up in flames.

The man was trapped in his bedroom by smoke following a fire at his house in Roxwell Road, Shepherd’s Bush , during the early hours of Tuesday (October 3) morning.

He was asleep when the fire started and there were no working smoke alarms in the property to alert him to the developing fire.

Thankfully, London Fire Brigade ’s 999 control officers gave him vital fire survival guidance while fire crews were en route to the scene.

They told him to open a window and they then advised firefighters where he was in the house so they could rescue him.

Station manager Andy Walton, who was at the scene, said: "This man has had a terrifying experience but thankfully, our control officers were able to keep him has safe as possible while crews arrived.

London Fire Brigade’s 999 control officers gave a man vital fire survival guidance

"I can’t stress enough how important it is having smoke alarms in your property and to test them regularly. Homes need multiple smoke alarms or you won’t be properly covered.

"Ideal spots for smoke alarms include rooms where you leave electrical equipment running like satellite boxes, computers or heaters; any room where you smoke, and anywhere you charge your mobile or laptop.

"As a minimum you should have smoke alarms on every floor - in the hallways and the rooms you use the most. It is vital that people regularly test their smoke alarms once a month."

The man was treated at the scene by London Ambulance Service crews, before being taken to hospital.

London Fire Brigade was called at 4.45am and the fire was under control just over an hour later.

Three fire engines and 14 firefighters and officers from Acton , Chiswick and Hammersmith fire stations attended the scene.

The cause of the fire is believed to be due to the unsafe disposal of smoking materials.

Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.

You can set up your app to see all the latest news and events from your area, plus receive push notifications for breaking news.

Available to download from the App Store or Google Play for Android .

View full mobile page