An official date has been set by the Secretary of State to review controversial plans to knock down buildings in Ealing town centre.
In May earlier this year Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, Greg Clark MP, announced his decision to call in plans for Arcadia phase two.
Ealing Council's planning committee in February voted to transform 9-42 The Broadway into 188 homes, 20 shops, a pedestrian route and a music venue.
Now under new Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, Sajid Javid, the inquiry into the development has been set for May 9 in 2017.
Conservative Cllr Alex Stafford, who has long opposed the development he describes as "Gotham City", said: "It is great news as it has taken a lot of lobbying to get the decision called in.
"It is going to be a big conversation and it is a proper look at the issues. It is an opportunity for the people of Ealing to have a say.
"The council has not listened. I will be bringing evidence in - I want to represent the residents, it is a bad decision for Ealing."
How the inquiry will work
The inquiry will run for up to 12 days in the Elizabeth Cantell Room in Ealing Town Hall, with a pre-inquiry meeting set for November 30 in the Queen's Hall.
An appointed inspector will lead the inquiry before passing of findings to Mr Javid - who will withdraw, amend or approve plans.
Historic England, Victorian Society, Ealing Civic Society, Save Ealing's Centre, residents and several councillors objected plans because it will demolish a number of Victorian buildings.
The decision to call in plans followed a request from the Victorian Society.
A spokesperson for Benson Elliot said: “We are disappointed with the Secretary of State’s decision and we look forward to setting out our case for why this vital development should go ahead.
"There has been a longstanding desire to revitalise this part of the town centre and we believe our proposals will deliver a high quality mixed use scheme fully respectful of the neighbourhood's character."
Inquiry will cause 'frustrating delay'
Labour Ealing Council leader Cllr Julian Bell said: "The decision to call in this scheme is disappointing and the delay it will cause is extremely frustrating.
"I still wholeheartedly believe that the scheme will transform Ealing town centre, creating new shops and restaurants, as well as enhancing Ealing's cultural offer.”
A council spokesperson added: "The decision to call in the application means the Secretary of State wishes a planning inspector to examine it in more detail and should not be taken as any indication that he opposes the scheme."