news

Roe Green Park rape: Teen, 13, guilty of attack on 'small and vulnerable' young boy on way to school

The young attacker kicked and stamped on his victim, who was raped and forced to perform sex acts during the 30-minute ordeal

The 12-year-old victim was raped in Roe Green Park(Image: Google Maps)

A 13-year-old boy snatched a younger boy as he walked through a park in Brent and raped him, before he ran to school to seek help from teachers.

The teenager, who cannot be named because of his age, was found guilty of raping a 12-year-old boy as he made his way to school.

He kidnapped the boy as he walked through Roe Green Park in Kingsbury on the morning of May 16 this year.

The young attacker kicked and stamped on his victim, who was raped and forced to perform sex acts during the 30-minute ordeal, Willesden Youth Court was told on Friday (August 25).

When the victim was released just after 9.30am, the boy ran to school where teachers called 999.

The 13-year-old was himself an hour late for school, telling his teachers that he had been in the park with some friends and "didn't know where the time had gone".

DNA match

He was arrested when police matched CCTV footage of him arriving at school to the description given by the victim.

Prosecutor Charles Royale said: "A DNA match was taken from the underwear he was wearing that matched both him and the victim.

"The Crown say it's a compelling case with evidence so that you can be sure of his guilt."

The victim also picked his attacker out of an identity parade.

The 13-year-old denied the attack but refused to answer questions in his police interview and refused to give evidence at trial.

He also asked that none of his family members be present in court and was instead supported only by a social worker and an intermediary to help him with any legal language he didn't understand.

On Friday, District Judge Mark Jabbitt found the boy guilty of one count of rape of a child under 13, one count of inciting a child under 13 in to sexual activity and one count of kidnap.

'Small and vulnerable'

The court heard the victim was slight for his age, and Judge Jabbitt said the defendant may have deliberately targeted him because of his size.

Adjourning sentence until October 2, Judge Jabbitt said: "I think this defendant is unable to admit to himself or his family that he committed this violent sexual attack but the evidence that he did so is overwhelming.

"I'm satisfied he knew the victim was under 13, and I'm satisfied he singled him out precisely because he was so small and vulnerable."

He ordered a pre-sentence report be prepared while the boy's defence barrister, Susan Wright, asked that a psychiatric report also be prepared.

The boy was remanded in custody ahead of sentencing.

Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.

You can set up your app to see all the latest news and events from your area, plus receive push notifications for breaking news.

Available to download from the App Store or Google Play for Android.

View full mobile page