Around two-thirds of pupils in Brent were told this month that they had received their first choice of secondary school, Brent Council have said.
A record number of 3,334 applications were received by Brent Council's school admissions team this year. The results for this year's applications were published March 3, in line with other authorities across the capital.
The rise in the number of applications is in its third year and is indicative of Brent's ever-growing young population.
Ruth Moher, Brent Council's cabinet member for children and young people, said: “This increase in applications simply highlights the growing young population that we have in Brent, and the challenges we face in finding school places for them.”
Despite a record number of 2,144 children granted their first choice of secondary school, an increase of 73 on lasts year's figures, the 142 additional applicants received this year compared to 2014 meant that the overall percentage of pupils receiving their first choice fell by 0.69%.
Cllr Ruth Moher continued: “We are absolutely committed to providing every child in Brent with a top quality education and while the percentage of first choice preferences has fallen slightly on last year, it hides the fact that our school admissions team allocated a record 2,144 first choice preferences after processing a record 3,334 applications.
“Credit must go to our school admissions team who despite the added pressure of handling more requests, have worked hard to place every child according to their preference and keep our overall performance on par with that of last year and the rest of London.”