news

Parsons Green terror attack: Second man arrested on suspicion of terrorism

A 21-year-old man remains in police custody

A second man has been arrested in Hounslow on suspicion of terrorism in relation to the Parsons Green tube bomb explosion.

The 21-year-old man was arrested at around 11.50pm on Saturday (September 16) by detectives from the Met's Counter Terrorism Command investigating the terrorist attack at Parsons Green on Friday (September 15).

He was arrested under section 41 of the Terrorism Act and taken to a south London police station where he remains in custody.

The arrest comes after an 18-year-old was arrested by Kent Police in the port area of Dover, earlier that day.

Residents in Sunbury were then told they had "one minute" to evacuate on Saturday (September 16) after a property was searched in connection with the Parsons Green terror attack.

The Cavendish Road property is registered to Mr and Mrs Jones, 88 and 71, who were honoured by Her Majesty the Queen for their work looking after children.

Police have now identified 121 witnesses to the Parsons Green terror attack, and have spoken to 100 of them.

A total of 30 people were injured in the bomb blast as a District Line tube pulled into Parsons Green station at around 8.20am on Friday (September 15).

(Image: @tommo1895)

Senior National Co-ordinator for Counter Terrorism Policing, Neil Basu, said on Saturday (September 16): "The Metropolitan Police and its partners across the Counter Terrorism Policing Network have been working around the clock and through the night to identify, locate and arrest those responsible for this cowardly crime.

"At approximately 7.50am this morning, local police officers in Kent arrested an 18-year-old man in the departure area of the Port of Dover.

Mr Basu continued: "He was arrested on suspicion of being concerned in the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism.

"He has now been transferred to custody at a police station in London.

"Officers from Kent Police partially evacuated the Port of Dover at around 11.40am this morning.

"This was to enable them to search the premises as a precautionary measure. This work is now complete. They recovered a number of items during this search.

"A short while later, at around 1.40pm - with the assistance of Surrey Police - Met Police officers also evacuated a house in Sunbury-on-Thames.

"As a precautionary measure, we evacuated the surrounding buildings and set up cordons within a 100-metre radius.

"I want to reassure that community that our expert officers are quickly and thoroughly searching that address and working to ensure that it is safe. Once this is done a detailed search will take place.

"I would like to thank residents in Sunbury and people travelling in and out of the Port of Dover for their patience and understanding while officers carry out this precautionary but important work."

Police say they are still keeping an "open mind" around whether more than one person is responsible for the attack, and will work to identify and locate any other potential suspects.

Mr Basu said: "We have identified 121 witnesses so far and we have spoken to 100 of them already.

"Officers continue to trawl through many hours of closed circuit television footage and more than 180 videos and pictures that have been sent to them by the public.

(Image: PA)

"We continue to take large numbers of calls from the public via the confidential Anti Terrorist Hotline.

"In total, we know that 30 people have received treatment at hospital for injuries.

"We are incredibly grateful that no one was killed yesterday but my thoughts are with those people and everyone affected by this terrible and traumatic attack.

"I would like to finish by thanking the public for their support at this crucial time."

Anyone with footage or images from the incident at Parsons Green is asked to upload them online where they will be looked at by investigators.

Anyone with information is urged to call the Anti-Terrorist Hotline on 0800 789 321 or, in an emergency, always call 999.

Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.

You can set up your app to see all the latest news and events from your area, plus receive push notifications for breaking news.

Available to download from the App Store or Google Play for Android.

View full mobile page