news

Park to remember Second World War victims reopens after renovation

Gwendwr Gardens had been closed since February but is open again for the public to enjoy after benefiting from much-needed attention

Gwendwr Gardens has been renovated, with work including 5,000 new plants (Pic: LBHF)

A much loved park which opened in memory of those who lost their lives in bombings during the Second World War has reopened in West Kensington.

Gwendwr Gardens had been closed since February to allow repair works of replacing crooked paving, trim overgrown foliage and planting areas of native woodland flowers .

Gwendwr Gardens remembers the lives of West Kensington residents lost to bombings during the Second World War (Pic: LBHF)(Image: LBHF)

It was originally opened in 1949 after being gifted to what was then Fulham Council by the Gunter Estate as a memorial to those residents from West Kensington who died during the Blitz.

The triangular park, which is just under an acre, is enclosed by Gwendwr Road, Trevanion Road and Gunterstone Road, and named after the Gunter family’s home in Wales.

Gwendwr Gardens before its refurbishment (Pic: Quadron Services)(Image: Quadron Services)

The work on the 67-year-old park was carried out by Hammersmith and Fulham Council .

View full mobile page