A man was taken to hospital after he unsuccessfully tried to put out a fire in his kitchen.
The male occupant was rescued from his home in North End Road, Fulham , on Tuesday (November 29) by firefighters and taken to hospital where he received treatment for smoke inhalation.
The fire started in the kitchen in an eighth floor flat at about 8.05pm and is believed to have been caused by a frying pan left on the heat.
The man made coat wet and threw it over the pan, but this too caught fire.
Fulham Watch Manager Mark Malcharek said: “A neighbour thankfully called the brigade and when firefighters arrived they led the male occupier to safety.
“He was suffering from smoke inhalation and taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service crews.”
Another 10 people escaped the building with help from fire crew, who contained the fire to the eighth floor.
Watch Manager Malcharek was not impressed with the occupant’s actions.
He said: “If you ever have a fire in your home make sure you get out everyone out, stay out and call 999.
“More than half of fatal fires in London have happened when a 999 call for help had not been made until 10 minutes or more after the fire had started.
"Also never try and tackle a fire yourself, please leave it to the professionals.”
Firefighters from Fulham, Hammersmith and Chelsea had the blaze under control by 9.20pm.
Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.
You can even set it to receive push notifications for all the breaking news in your area.