Video thumbnail, West Drayton fire
Video Loading

A fire tore through a newsagent in West Drayton on Thursday night (June 4).

Eyewitnesses saw West Drayton Food & Wines, in Harmondsworth Road, burst into flames at around 9.30pm and reported hearing an "explosion".

Two employees were working in the shop at the time, but were in the back of the premises when they heard the explosion. They escaped through the front of the shop before London Fire Brigade arrived and luckily, weren't injured in the blaze.

Shop owner Vijaya Raja wasn't inside at the time but the shop was open to customers.

Speaking to getwestlondon on Friday, he said: "We had planned to be open from 6am-midnight yesterday.

"I'm just shocked right now and we're trying to sort it out today and open as soon as possible."

Mr Raja, who has owned the shop for 14 years, had a team of friends helping him clear the debris from the building the morning after the blaze.

The fire is believed to have started when a leaking gas cylinder was ignited by an electrical spark, the fire brigade said.

The majority of the damage was to the ground-floor of the building, at the front, where the shop counter is located.

It took four fire engines and 21 firefighters to tackle the blaze.

The brigade was called shortly before 10pm and managed to bring it under control in around one hour.

Two young men, who did not want to named, witnessed the explosion and helped evacuate the family living above the shop.

One of the men said: "I was smoking nearby when I heard a loud noise.

"At first we thought there was someone kicking off and did something to the shop. Then I saw the fire at the front of the shop.

"It was all so sudden, it all happened in less than a minute."

The other young man, who helped the family, said "It was like something in a movie."

A family of four live above the newsagents.

Shahidul Islam, who lives with his wife and two children, was working at the restaurant next door, Sipson Tandoori, at the time of the explosion.

He said: "I heard the bang while I was at work.

"We all left and stayed with our next door neighbour last night. We're all okay though."

Chris Hawkswell, from the London Ambulance Service, tweeted about the incident.

Firefighters from Hillingdon, Heathrow and Hayes fire stations attended the blaze along with other emergency services.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said the fire is not being treated as suspicious.