A petition with 1,700 names on it opposing the demolition of Marlborough School in Chelsea has been handed to the council.
The demolition of Marlborough School, which was built in 1878, is due to begin shortly, with the school temporarily relocating to the nearby John Lewis Clearing site, before it hopes to move into its new purpose-built facility in two years time.
Headteacher Jessica Finer had told getwestlondon that emotions were mixed ahead of the departure, but backed the decision to rebuild the school: “At the moment we have to squeeze into the building and make it work for us and that can be quite tricky at times, this is a real opportunity for the school.
“Everyone has mixed feelings but there is a sense of excitement.”
After handing the petition to the Town Hall on Tuesday (July 21), Ms Solomon said: “There was a good turn-out with parents and children there.
“One lady travelled all the way from Oxford because it was her old school.”
And she said many people were passionately opposed to the razing of the school: “This really is an act of vandalism - that’s the words from residents.
“This is one of the top buildings in Chelsea historically speaking and people can’t understand why it’s not been listed.”
Earlier this month, a protest was held outside Peter Jones store in Sloane Square, which is owned by John Lewis Partnership.
The council said the issue could be discussed at the next full council meeting on October 14, with demolition work due to begin in the autumn this year.
Among those who have previously opposed the school’s demolition is The Victorian Society and musician Julian Lloyd Webber.