A 31-year-old man has pleaded guilty to a brutal attack on his eight-month pregnant fiancé where she suffered a stab wound to the face and was left in a vegetative state.
Petar Petrov had been in a relationship with the 30-year-old victim for just over a year after they met while working in a Knightsbridge Hotel.
On Friday, August 5 neighbours reported hearing shouting and arguing at their flat in Enfield around 8pm and one resident recalled hearing a man shouting followed by a bang that “sounded like a car crash”.
Offender was found lying on the floor in glass and blood
A member of the public then found Petrov, lying on the floor unresponsive and surrounded by blood and glass – he also had knife wounds to his body.
Another member of the public entered Petrov's flat and found his fiancé lying on the floor with injuries to her head and neck, and the neighbour quickly realised she was pregnant.
He then began first aid with the help of a paramedic over the phone.
'A truly shocking case'
Detective Inspector Chris Skelt, from Enfield Police Community Safety Unit, said: “This has been a truly shocking case.
“It is incomprehensible to think that a father-to-be could carry out such a violent and horrific attack on his fiancé knowing she was carrying their baby.
“I would like to commend the members of the public who were first at this distressing scene, and who performed first aid on the injured parties and called the emergency services.
“Their quick actions and bravery were crucial in getting the victim the medical attention she needed, saving her child's life.
“Sadly she remains in a persistent vegetative state, however thankfully her child was born without injuries.”
Stab wound to the face and bruising to the lungs
The victim was taken to hospital suffering from several facial injuries including a stab wound, and severe bruising to her lungs.
In order to save the baby's life, doctors performed an emergency caesarean section and the baby was born premature, but with no physical injuries, four days after the attack.
Petrov, a Bulgarian national of Densworth Grove in Enfield, had injuries consistent with falling from a height and self-inflicted wounds.
He was taken to hospital and later arrested.
Petrov admitted to attack
Petrov pleaded guilty to attempted murder at the Old Bailey on Wednesday (January 11), and will be sentenced for the awful crime at the same court on February 10.
DI Skelt said: “Enfield Borough Community Safety Unit conducted a robust and thorough investigation that has led to Petrov's guilty plea.
“This will not mean that the members of the public will no longer need to give evidence forcing them to relive the terrible events of that night.
“Petrov has never revealed the motive behind his shocking attack but I urge anyone who is either in, or know a person in, a relationship suffering domestic abuse to report incidents to police in order that we can protect victims for further abuse and perpetrators can be brought to justice.”
Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.
You can even set it to receive push notifications for all the breaking news in your area.