news

Longfield Avenue: Turning ban which has made almost £1m in fines was introduced after eight 'slight injuries'

Ealing Council has pocketed £970,000 in fines since it introduced a turning ban into and out of Longfield Avenue

A turning ban on roads in Ealing - which has brought in almost £1million in fines in under a year - was introduced after eight "slight injuries", new figures reveal.

Motorists have been charged £130 for turning right into Longfield Avenue from Uxbridge Road, and left into Uxbridge Road from Longfield Avenue, since April last year.

So far the fines, reduced to £60 if paid within 14 days, have pocketed Labour Ealing Council £970,000.

In 2015, it said the ban was being introduced to increase safety and ease congestion in the area.

 

This followed a "number of accidents" at the junction including two where pedestrians were "seriously injured", the council added.

Ealing Council has pocketed £970,000 from a turning ban into Longfield Avenue

 

New figures from a Freedom of Information (FOI) request show there were eight reported "slight personal injury accidents" at the junction, in the 36 months before the ban was introduced.

Conservative Cllr Alex Stafford, who represents the Ealing Broadway ward, called for the council to reveal what the "slight injuries" were.

He said: "It does seem a hammer to crack a nut.

 

 

"There was not a significant call for this change to happen, and there are other areas in the borough where there are a greater numbers of accidents.

"I would like to know what it means by 'slight injuries'.

"It should also be revealed as to what caused these slight injuries. Councillors and residents have not been given the facts."

The council says "slight injury" includes bruising, bone fractures, abrasions, cuts, soft tissue damage and whiplash.

There have been no reported accidents at the junction since the ban was introduced, the FOI revealed.

A council spokesman said: "This scheme was launched to improve road safety and the full results of the trial will be available on completion in May.

"The council will analyse the data, including representations from residents in order to make a final decision on whether to make the scheme permanent.

"We have done everything possible to help people to avoid getting tickets, including issuing warning letters instead of fines for the first 10 weeks of the scheme.

"There are currently 21 permanent advance warning signs in place, many more than the three required by law.

"Any income from penalty notices is ring-fenced and used to pay for concessionary travel and road safety schemes for the benefit of residents."

The council added the 42 representations made during the initial six month trial will be considered during a review in May.

It previously said it would conduct a review towards the end of last year, but performed a U-turn by extending it for another six months.

On March 9 this year engineer, Phillip Emsley, won an appeal against his fine at a tribunal which ruled signage was insufficient.

 

Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.

You can even set it to receive push notifications for all the breaking news in your area.

Available to download from the App Store or Google Play for Android now!

 

 

 

View full mobile page