The London terror attack that resulted in the deaths of four people and injured another 50 lasted just 82 seconds, the Metropolitan Police have revealed.

Khalid Masood mounted the northern pavement of Westminster Bridge in his car at 2.40pm on Wednesday (March 22) – he was shot dead just just over a minute later.

During the attack, Masood crashed into the perimeter fence of the Palace of Westminster and stabbed a uniformed officer – PC Keith Palmer – to death in the grounds.

The family of PC Palmer released a statement on Saturday night (March 25) paying tribute to him.

PC Keith Palmer lost his life after being stabbed in what police are calling a terror attack

They said: “We have been overwhelmed by the love and support of our family, and most especially, the outpouring of love and respect for Keith.

“We want to thank everyone who has reached out to us over the past few days for their kindness and generosity.

“The police have been a constant, unwavering support at this very difficult time. It has made us realise what a caring, strong and supportive family Keith was part of during his career with the police. We can't thank them enough.”

The statement added: “We would also like to express our gratitude to the people who were with Keith in his last moments and who were working that day. There was nothing more you could have done.
“You did your best and we are just grateful he was not alone. We care about him being remembered for his selfless bravery and loving nature.

“We miss him so much, but we are incredibly proud of Keith.”

Met Police pay tribute to victims of Westminster attack

Police have arrested 11 people so far during their investigation into the attack, with nine being released with no further action.

On Saturday, a 27-year-old man arrested at an address in Birmingham has been released without charge as well as a 39-yea-old woman from east London who had been on bail.

One person, a 32-year-old woman arrested in Manchester, has been bailed to a date in March.

A 58-year-old man arrested on Thursday (March 23) remains in police custody.

On Friday, (March 24), officers released seven people with no further action taken.

A 35-year-old man has been released with no further police action as well as a 21-year-old woman and a 23-year-old man who were arrested at an address in Birmingham.

A 26-year-old woman and three men aged 28, 27 and 26 years old , who were arrested at separate addresses in Birmingham were also released.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu, who is the Senior National Coordinator for UK Counter Terrorism Policing, said:"Our investigation continues at pace. I am grateful for the public support so far, but I am asking for more help.

"If you knew Khalid Masood and had spoken to him in the months, weeks or days leading up to this attack please come forward.

"We still believe that Masood acted alone on the day and there is no information or intelligence to suggest there are further attacks planned.

"Even if he acted alone in the preparation we need to establish with absolute clarity why he did these unspeakable acts to bring reassurance to Londoners, and to provide answers and closure for the families of those killed and the victims and survivors of this atrocity."

He added: "We must all accept that there is a possibility we will never understand why he did this. That understanding may have died with him.

"Nevertheless, we are determined to understand if Masood was a lone actor inspired by terrorist propaganda or if others have encouraged, supported or directed him. If the latter proves to be the case, they will face justice.

Streets in Westminster were cordoned off after the attack

"Whilst the attack lasted only 82 seconds it will remain in the memories of many forever. The thoughts of all those working on this investigation are with those so deeply affected.

"Thank you for the public support so far and the early media restraint.

"The response has been outstanding, and that includes the joint emergency services response. Hundreds of officers continue their hard work, and they are supported by colleagues across the country, and the whole UK policing family.

"The way that communities in London, and throughout the UK, have come together in the wake of this attack shows that we will not give into those who seek to breed discord and fear.

"Terrorists have tried to tear this City apart before and they have never succeeded. A very small minority of people have tried to use this as an opportunity to stir up hate, but once again we stand together in calm defiance. We will not allow them to divide us."

Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.

You can even set it to receive push notifications for all the breaking news in your area.

Available to download from the App Store or Google Play for Android now!