news

Lamp left on bed was 'accidentally switched on' and caused house fire

The blaze was tackled by crews from four different fire stations

A crew of 21 firefighters tackled the blaze at the end terrace in Shalcomb Street, Chelsea(Image: London Fire Brigade)

Part of an end-of-terrace property in Chelsea was damaged after a bedside lamp was accidentally switched on and set fire to bedding.

Fire crews from Chelsea, Battersea, Kensington and Wandsworth attended the fire in Shalcomb Street with 21 firefighters working to tackle the blaze on the second floor.

London Fire Brigade was called at 4.21pm last Wednesday (September 27) and discovered that a bedside lamp had been placed on a bed while the room was being cleaned.

The lamp was accidentally switched on, which ignited the bedding and caused the fire which damaged part of the house.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: "Lightbulbs can get incredibly hot and set fire to combustible materials.

"It's important to keep them well away from anything that might catch fire such as books, paper, wood and fabric.

"Keep clothing, sheets and curtains well away too and always turn lights off when you leave the room."

Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.

You can set up your app to see all the latest news and events from your area, plus receive push notifications for breaking news.

Available to download from the App Store or Google Play for Android .

View full mobile page