An incense stick is thought to have started a fire which ripped through a house in Maida Vale on Monday (July 26) night.
Firefighters were called to a severe house fire in Stafford Road at 9.50pm and arrived to find an intense blaze had ripped through the first floor and roof and was punching out of the windows.
The dramatic fire was captured on video by Twitter user @muathtawfiq, with concerned voices heard in the background.
North Kensington Fire Station Crew Manager Jeff Bridle said: “The first crews were faced with a severe fire that looked to have been fuelled by all the windows being open.
"The first floor and roof of the end of terrace house was alight and the fire had spread to an adjacent properties roof.
“All of the crews did a fantastic job and worked so hard to bring the blaze under control. Initial crews had a hose out and in use in under a minute.”
A man and woman left the building unharmed before the fire brigade arrived, as did two adults and a child in a neighbouring building.
Six fire engine and 35 firefighters and officers were at the scene and had the flames under control shortly at around 11.30pm.
London Fire Brigade believe an incense stick left near bedding started the fire. A spokesperson said: “Clothing, fabric, and hair should be kept well away from burning incense sticks, as they have hot embers that can cause fires.
"It is important to check that all candles, tea lights, incense or joss sticks are fully extinguished before you leave the room or go to bed.”
Crews from North Kensington, West Hampstead, Kensington, Willesden, Fulham and Hammersmith fire stations helped fight the flames.
And it urged people to dispose of barbecues sensibly after flames broke out on wooden decking in Kensington.