A Hounslow teenager who plotted to carry out a nail bomb attack at Elton John's Hyde Park concert on 9/11 anniversary will be joining his terrorist brother behind bars.
Haroon Syed, 19, has been given a life sentence after admitting to planning to carry out a nail bomb attack at 'packed places in London' including Oxford Street, Buckingham Palace, and even the 50,000 crowd at the Rocket Man singer's gig on the 15th anniversary of the Twin Towers attack, the Mirror reports .
He was sentenced to life in prison with a minimum 16 years and six months term on Monday (July 3) at the Old Bailey, after he pleaded guilty to preparation of terrorist acts.
The court heard he used encrypted messaging app 'Threema' in a bid to source machine guns, pistols, suicide vests and bombs to launch an attack in the UK on the scale of the 7 July 2005 London bombings.
Syed hoped to take out loans to pay for weapons to carry out what he called 'the opp', but was forced to look for cheaper options, including a home made bomb, when the requests were refused.
He handed over £150 to his online contact, 'Abu Yusuf', with instructions to get hold of an explosive with 'lots of nails inside'.
But Abu Yusuf was in fact an undercover security services officer and counter-terror cops raided Syed's home in Hounslow, west London, on September 8 last year.
Officers found his mobile phone on the top bunk in his bedroom and when asked for the password, Syed said: "Yeah, I.S.I.S. You like that?"
He admitted preparing an act of terror at the Old Bailey in April.
His older brother Nadir Syed, 24, was jailed for life in June 2016 for planning to behead a poppy-seller or police community support officer on Remembrance Sunday.
In a statement, Haroon Syed said he was vulnerable because of his family history, lack of education, addiction to violent online games and the imprisonment of his brother.
He claimed his plans were a "fantasy", which was "indistinguishable from the video games he was playing at the same time", but "never had any intention of carrying out any terrorist act" and only wanted "to see how far it would go".
Prosecutor Duncan Penny QC said: "The allegation relates to research and threats to source weapons with a view to carrying out an attack."
"He expressed support for IS and revealed he hoped to commit a terrorist act in this country.
"'The evidence comes largely from messages sent by the defendant send from his telephone via secure mess anger to a user known as Abu Yusuf."
Syed admitted preparing an act of terror between Friday April 1 and Saturday September 9, 2016, under Section 5 of the Terrorism Act 2000.
Syed's lawyers had previously argued he had been "entrapped" by undercover officers after being groomed into engaging into radical Islamic activity online.
But Judge Michael Topolski QC refused a defence application to exclude the key evidence gathered through chats with Abu Yusuf from the upcoming trial prompting him to pleaded guilty to a charge of preparing an act of terror between Friday April 1 and Saturday September 9 September, 2016, under Section 5 of the Terrorism Act 2000.
The charge states Syed was engaged in "research, planning and attempting to source materials to produce an improvised explosive device with a view committing acts against persons in the UK".
Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.
You can set up your app to see all the latest news and events from your area, plus receive push notifications for breaking news.