news

Hounslow fire: Dropped cigarette causes shop to go up in flames

The fire started at the back of the shop where cardboard was stored

The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental and due to a discarded cigarette

Four fire engines and 21 firefighters were called to a shop in Hounslow after a discarded cigarette caused it to go up in flames.

London Fire Brigade (LFB) attended to the blaze at a shop with flats above it on Hounslow, High Street after receiving a call at 12.06am on Sunday September 17.

Nobody was hurt but part of the ground floor shop was damaged by fire which was under control at 1.24am, LFB said.

One person left the premises before the arrival of the LFB.

Fire crews discovered a fire at the rear of the building in an area where cardboard was stored for waste collection.

A spokesman for LFB said: "The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental and due to discarded smoking materials."

Taking to Twitter, LFB clarified it was a "discarded cigarette dropped on cardboard", which caused the fire.

"Thankfully nobody was injured," the tweet said.

Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.

You can set up your app to see all the latest news and events from your area, plus receive push notifications for breaking news.

Available to download from the App Store or Google Play for Android .

View full mobile page