A level two weather warning has been issued for London after temperatures escalate to highs of 32 degrees this week.
After days of rain, the miserable weather blossomed into another heatwave , with Wednesday being the hottest day for the capital.
However, Public Health England (PBE) have warned those who are vulnerable to take care in the heat, with younger people, babies and the elderly most at risk.
London was issued with the "level two heatwave action alert" following another sweltering day for commuters, meaning there is a 60% chance the maximum threshold temperatures of 32C (89.6F) could be met.
It has been an unusual summer for the city as hot weather was punctuated by thunderstorms, bringing on flash flooding and flight delays from Heathrow Airport .
The astonishing weather changes began in the Spring with people capturing snow in what should be milder months after an arctic blast swirled over London .
- Westminster terror attack: How events unfolded2:05
- Sadiq Khan said London will never be cowed by ter1:22
- Parliament shooting: Footage shows aftermath on W0:32
- Livestream of Westminster incident
- Hail, thunder and wet weather forecast for London2:12
- The secret code word for the Queens death revealed0:38
Top tips for staying cool in the heatwave
Public Health England has urged people to stay safe in the heat and to look out for vulnerable older people, young children and babies, and those with underlying health conditions.
It advises people to:
- drink plenty of water - sugary, alcoholic and caffeinated drinks can make you more dehydrated
- close curtains on rooms that face the sun to keep indoor spaces cooler and remember it may be cooler outdoors than indoors
- open windows when it feels cooler outside and it’s safe to do so
- never leave anyone in a closed, parked vehicle, especially infants, young children or animals
- try to keep out of the sun between 11am and 3pm
- if you have to go out in the heat, walk in the shade, apply sunscreen and wear a hat
- avoid physical exertion in the hottest parts of the day
- wear light, loose fitting cotton clothes