The doors officially opened on new container homes built in Hanwell on Thursday April 6 as Ealing Council strive to tackle homeless in the borough

The 34-apartment development called Marston Court, in Bordars Walk, is officially ready for families to move into.

According to figures from the council, around 2,293 households are homeless, which prompted the ten year temporary planning application for the construction.

Take a look inside the container homes

Video Loading

Ealing council

QED Sustainable Urban Developments created the homes using a kit of re-usable parts based around re-purposed shipping containers.

A spokesman for the team said the location was chosen because it was a previously disused brownfield site that attracted fly-tipping and antisocial activity.

On homelessness, Ross Gilbert, managing director at QED Sustainable Urban Developments, said: "In London the problem is particularly acute and many of the available development spaces are complex brownfield sites which are difficult to access and develop.

"For Marston Court we were able to work with Ealing Council to bring vacant brownfield land back into productivity to deliver ready to live in accommodation, providing a sustainable, robust, affordable and flexible solution."

The new court includes 34 separate homes which are a mixture of studio and one to two bedroom units .

As well as the houses, the site has a play area, laundry room and management office.

Inside the studio home for homeless families

MP Bob Blackman, sponsor of the Homelessness Reduction Bill, said: "There is an acute shortage of suitable housing and far too many people ending up in situations which can lead to them becoming homeless.

"That is why I have been working to significantly reform England’s homelessness legislation through the Homelessness Reduction Bill.

"With temporary emergency accommodation in such short supply interim schemes such as Marston Court in Ealing are providing a much needed lifeline for many."

Controversy after resident argued they weren't told about plans

The development has seen some controversies after a resident claimed she was not made aware of the changes and woke up to find the container home built, overshadowing her house.

Janice Hawkins, who has lived in Hanwell for 13 years had told getwestlondon she understood the need for them, but could not believe the proximity and why residents nearby weren't consulted.

An Ealing Council spokesman did not comment on whether initial plans had been altered, but responded: "We wrote to residents in 2015 to give them a chance to view and comment on proposals to build temporary modular housing for families on the site of disused garages."

Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.

You can even set it to receive push notifications for all the breaking news in your area.

Available to download from the App Store or Google Play for Android now!