A safety review of the crossing in Hammersmith where an elderly pedestrian died following a collision with a bus will be held.
Hammersmith Broadway ward councillor Mike Cartwright said the police and council would work together to look at making safety improvements following the tragedy on Sunday evening (October 8).
Transport for London (TfL) has also said it will launch a full investigation.
Police are yet to name the 78-year-old woman who was hit by the route 220 double decker bus at around 5pm. She was pronounced some 30 minutes later.
The incident led to getwestlondon readers calling the crossing the “death trap”, a “nightmare crossing” and “an accident waiting to happen” .
Cllr Cartwright, who is serving as Hammersmith and Fulham Mayor this year, said: “After all fatal accidents the council and the police will review the crossing to see if anything can be done to eliminate the danger. That will happen.”
He said he was comfortable using the crossing, but admitted to problems with it: “As someone that uses them quite frequently they seem to me to be alright.
“But you do occasionally get people crossing the road [when they shouldn’t], and some drivers come round that corner very fast as well.”
He said the area was served with underpasses until around 20 years ago, when they were replaced with surface level crossings to cater for the high numbers of users.
The 220 is operated by London United Busways. A spokesperson said the bus driver had been released under caution until CCTV has been viewed and added: “London United Busways is assisting the police with its inquiries and is also conducting its own internal inquiry to determine the cause of this tragedy.”
TfL Bus Operations Manager David Reid said: “Our sympathies go out to the family and friends of the person who died in a collision with a route 220 double decker bus at around 5pm on Sunday at the junction of King Street and Queen Caroline Street in Hammersmith W6.
“The emergency services attended the scene and there will be a full investigation into this incident.”
Met Police said there have been no arrests and officers have not interviewed anyone under caution.
Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.
You can even set it to receive push notifications for all the breaking news in your area.