A mum and her children had to be rescued from a third floor balcony after the neighbouring property was engulfed by fire, caused when a discarded cigarette set a butane cylinder alight.

They were treated at the scene in Gloucester Terrace in Paddington by paramedics after being plucked to safety from a third floor balcony on Saturday (November 26).

Another man was also rescued by firefighters from a second floor flat while ten others evacuated the building unaided.

Seven escape Osterley house blaze before fire crews arrive

Fire crews from North Kensington and Hammersmith were called to the scene at 6.10pm. It is thought to have been caused by a cigarette that had been put out in a waste bin in a kitchen in a third floor flat.

The developing fire caused a butane cylinder to explode and caused structural damage inside the building.

The fire was under control by 7.34pm.

Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.

You can even set it to receive push notifications for all the breaking news in your area.

Available to download from the App Store or Google Play for Android now!