Star Kebab was reported to Kensington and Chelsea’s Food Safety Team after a complaint of suspected food poisoning, and inspected in May 2016.
It found the restaurant in a poor condition with dirty equipment and inadequate procedures.
The takeaway was taken over by new owners in November 2016, with issues affecting the previous owner resolved, the council said.
Speedbird Hotels Ltd, trading as Star Kebab, and its director Zahoor Jaffar, from Rockways in Barnet, were given a number of opportunities to comply with food hygiene regulations, with the Royal borough serving two improvement notices in July 2016 as the regulations were still being ignored.
After entering guilty pleas on May 24 this year, the business was fined £20,000 and Jaffar £10,000, with costs on top, at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on July 26.
In mitigation Jaffar said he had purchased the business three years earlier and had no experience in dealing with the type of work.
Speedbird, based in Barnet, was fined £8,000 for failure to have clean equipment and £12,000 for non-compliance with Hygiene Improvement Notices, and told to pay £1,750 costs.
Jaffar was hit with a £4,000 fine for failure to have clean equipment, £6,000 for non-compliance with Hygiene Improvement Notices, told to pay £1,751 costs and a £170 victim surcharge.
Cllr Will Pascall, deputy leader at the council, said: “This case sends out a clear message to food businesses that they need to keep their premises clean and comply with food safety and food hygiene legislation.
“Visitors don’t go into restaurants expecting to have their food stored in substandard conditions or to make them ill.
“We are committed to protecting our residents and the wider public who buy food in the borough and we will take action to ensure shops and restaurants comply with food safety law.”
Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.
You can even set it to receive push notifications for all the breaking news in your area.