news

Flats evacuated as firefighters deal with early morning blaze in Covent Garden sauna

Around 20 people had to be evacuated from flats above the sauna in Nottingham Court

The fire damaged a boiler in the basement of a sauna in Nottingham Court(Image: Google)

A number of Covent Garden flats had to be evacuated after a basement boiler room blaze at a sauna.

Around 20 people had to leave the flats above a sauna but there were no reported injuries as 58 firefighters tackled the blaze on Saturday (September 16).

London Fire Brigade was called to the early morning fire in Nottingham Court at 2.37am and had the fire under control by 5.03 am.

A total of eight fire engines from Soho, Dowgate, Lambeth, Shoreditch, Islington, Whitechapel and Kentish Town fire stations were called to the scene.

London Fire Brigade believe the fire was accidental, caused by "self heating of towels".

Station Manager Brett Loft, who was at the scene, said: “Crews worked really hard in heavily smoke logged conditions using breathing apparatus.

"It was a complex layout and crews did well to locate the fire in the basement and stop it spreading to adjacent properties.”

Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.

You can set up your app to see all the latest news and events from your area, plus receive push notifications for breaking news.

Available to download from the App Store or Google Play for Android .

View full mobile page