Flames ripped through a Perivale home on Thursday (November 3) for the second time in a week after again being hit by a stray firework.
London Fire Brigade (LFB) were called to the property in Devon Close at 8.12pm after a neighbour saw smoke coming from the roof.
Four fire engines and 21 firefighters attended and found a small fire in the damaged roof space, which LFB believe came after a lit firework landed in the open roof space and ignited materials inside.
The fire was under control at 9.34pm, after fire crews from Wembley, Park Royal and Northolt had attended, and it is not clear if there were any injuries.
But astonishingly, the fire came just five days after LFB were called to the exact same home where a rocket landed in the rear garden and caused a severe fire .
On October 29, LFB were called to the mid-terrace house at 10.13pm before firefighters had the fire under control by 1.44am.
During this incident, firefighters believe the fire occurred after a firework landed on two gazebo structures in the rear garden before the fire spread to the ground and first floors of the house, with two adjourning properties also damaged.
Six people left the properties before LFB arrived, and there were no reports of any injuries.
Following the incident on October 29, LFB reiterated its safety code for fireworks and urged people to attend organised displays.
The code states:
- Only buy fireworks marked with the British Standard Kitemark BS7114
- Don't drink alcohol if setting off fireworks
- Keep fireworks in a closed box and always follow the instructions carefully when using them
- Light them at arms length using a taper and stand well back
- Never go back to them once they are lit. Even if a firework hasn't gone off, it could still explode
- Never throw fireworks and never put them in your pocket
- Respect your neighbours – don’t let off fireworks late at night and remember there are laws to follow
- Take care with sparklers – never give them to children under five. Even when they have gone out they are still hot so put sparklers in a bucket of water after use
Keep your pets indoors throughout the evening
Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.
You can even set it to receive push notifications for all the breaking news in your area.