London Fire Brigade led around 20 people to safety after a shop fire in Wembley on Monday (March 21) evening.

A shop and the flat above it on Ealing Road in Wembley were damaged by the fire.

According to London Fire Brigade, a shop worker called fire crews at 10.18pm after smelling smoke and alerted the residents in the flats above the shop.

When fire crews arrived, they led 20 people to safety and thankfully no one was injured as a result.

Four fire engines and a total of 21 firefighters were rushed to the scene, where the fire badly damaged the ground floor and the staircase leading to the first floor, where a flat is said to have been partly affected by the blaze.

READ MORE: Firefighters rescue four from blaze in six-storey block of flats in Acton

The fire was brought under control by 12.15am, with fire crews from Park Royal , Acton and Ealing fire stations attending the scene.

While the cause of the fire is believed to be accidental, there was no smoke alarm fitted.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: "Everyone should have at least one smoke alarm on every level of your home and the safest option is to have those linked together. This will give the earliest warning if there is a fire in your home."