The cause of the Shepherd's Bush tower block blaze was caused by a faulty Indesit tumble dryer, the London Fire Brigade has confirmed.

Following a thorough six-week investigation into what caused the flats to be engulfed in flames, the Brigade ruled out other possible causes and reported "all the physical evidence in the flat clearly indicated that the fire had started in the tumble dryer".

It concluded the Indesit appliance, which was subject to a safety notice, started the inferno, which damaged several floors on Shepherds Court on the Charecroft Estate on August 19.

Thankfully, no lives were lost and only three people needed ambulance treatment at the scene where 120 firefighters brought the raging fire under control.

The blaze started in the kitchen of a seventh floor flat where smoke could be seen coming from the tumble dryer which had been in use at the time, spreading to four upper floors via open windows.

As a result a number of families had to be re-housed and two flats were destroyed.

Watch as people get trapped in Shepherd's Bush fire

Video thumbnail, Shepherds Bush fire trapped people
Video Loading

The LFB had suspected the cause of the fire was a tumble dryer, and with confirmation made following the completion of its “painstaking” investigation.

Fire chiefs have renewed their call for Indesit's parent company Whirlpool to change its advice to consumers, as part of its Total Recalls campaign to make white goods safer.

It also found "the physical evidence corroborated witness accounts that the fire had started in the dryer", as well as evidence that "showed an engineer had been due to visit the property to carry out modifications".

Despite the fire starting when owner Debbie Defreitas was at home on her seventh-floor flat, Whirlpool is insisting machines are safe to use as long as they are not left unattended.

The Brigade strongly disagrees and is urging anyone with one of the models in question to immediately unplug the machine and stop using it.

Watch as air ambulance lands near scene of fire in Shepherd's Bush

Video thumbnail, Shepherds Bush fire air ambulance vid
Video Loading

LFB director of operations Dave Brown said: "This fire has highlighted just how dangerous faulty white goods can be.

"Disappointingly though, Whirlpool have still not changed their advice to consumers.

"Following the conclusion of our investigation we are now appealing once again for them to change their advice and bring it into line with our own.

"Thankfully there were no serious injuries in the Shepherd's Bush fire but we may not be so lucky if it happens again.

"It was vital that we conducted such a robust and systematic investigation to get a clear picture of what happened.

"Following an exhaustive examination of the scene and the remains of the appliance by our specialist fire investigators we remain satisfied the cause was the faulty dryer."

Forensics examined the scene of the fire and the remains of the dryer in a special laboratory, while witnesses provided information towards the investigation.

The safety notice issued by Whirlpool identified a potential concern with two types of tumble dryer manufactured between April 2004 and September 2015. The affected brands are Hotpoint, Indesit and Creda, Proline and Swan.

Also commenting on the findings was Alex Neill, managing director of Home & Legal services, for Which? He said: “Almost a year on, there are still millions of potentially dangerous tumble dryers in people’s homes.

"London Fire Brigade’s investigation into the Shepherd’s Bush fire highlights the urgent need for the government to review the Whirlpool case and set out how it is going to improve safety for affected customers.

The Brigade’s Total Recalls Campaign aims to make sure the public are better protected from potentially lethal faulty white goods by calling on the Government to improve the way that product recalls work and the way that white goods are manufactured in the t place.

The fire resulted in 26 homes being evacuated and 20 families moved into temporary accommodation.

In recent weeks, Hammersmith and Fulham council wrote to residents and businesses to alert them to the dangers of household appliances.