A terror attack outside a mosque in Finsbury Park in the early hours of Monday (June 19) left one man dead and eight people injuried.
A 48-year old man has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder.
At shortly after midnight on Monday June 19 a white rental van drove into pedestrians in Seven Sisters Road, near Finsbury Park Mosque.
One man, who was already receiving first aid from the public when the attack happened, died at he scene.
Injuries were sustained by 10 other people. Eight were taken to hospital and two were treated at the scene.
Police believe the attacker worked alone.
Prime Minister Thersea May said: "This morning our country woke to news of another terrorist attack on the streets of our capital city.
"The second this month and every bit as sicking of those that have come before. It was an attack that once again targeted the ordinary and the innocent going about their daily lives.
"This time British Muslims as they left a mosque having broken their fast and prayed together at this sacred time of year.
" Today we come together as we have done before to condemn this act and to state once again that hatred and evil of this kind will never succeed.
“The governments emergency committee Cobra has just met and I can set out what we know about what happened and the steps we are taking to respond."
"Just after 20 past midnight the Metropolitan Police received reports that a van had been driven into a crowd of people on Seven Sisters Road, in Finsbury Park," said the prime minister.
"Officers were in the immediate vicinity as the attack unfolded and responded within one minute.
"Police declared it a terrorist incident within eight minutes.
"One man was declared dead at the scene, eight injured were taken to three separate hospitals while two were treated at the scene for minor injuries.”
She added: "The driver of a van, a white man aged 48 was bravely detained by members of the public at the scene and the arrested by police.
"The early assessment by the police is that the attacker acted alone.
"Our thoughts and prayers this mornings are with the family and friends of the man who died and those who are injured.”
Metropolitan Police commissioner Cressida Dick said: “London has woken up to the news of another appalling attack on our city.
“My thoughts are with the family of the man who has died and with all those who were injured.
“My officers were on the scene almost immediately, and other uniformed and specialist officers quickly arrived to support them.
"They worked quickly with colleagues from the other emergency services to treat the injured.
“I want to thank all those members of the public who assisted police and emergency services in our task.
“There is now an ongoing investigation by our Counter Terrorism Command to establish why this attack was carried out.
“London is a city of many faiths and many nationalities. An attack on one community is an attack on all of us.
“Terrorists will not succeed in their attempts to divide us and make us live in fear.”
She added: “Extra officers are on duty in the area to help reassure the local community. They will be there for as long as they are needed.
“Communities will see additional officers patrolling across the city and at Muslim places of worship.
"We are working as hard as we can to protect all our communities and we will not be defeated.”
Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.
You can even set it to receive push notifications for all the breaking news in your area.