A pensioner who violently stabbed four women in a supermarket car park has been jailed for 20 years.

Ethem Orhon, of Deacons Walk, Hampton, went on a stabbing spree in the Sainsbury's car park in Hampton, across the Twickenham border, earlier this year in May.

The vicious knife attack saw the 67-year-old convicted on two counts of attempted murder and two counts of grievous bodily harm with intent, at Kingston Crown Court on Friday (November 4), after a jury found him guilty.

The judge also sentenced Orhon to a further five-year extended licence.

On May 20, 2016, he had been released on bail after being charged for possession of a bladed article in a public place, namely a Leatherman mutli-tool.

The court heard he went home armed himself with a second Leatherman he had and headed to the Sainsbury's car park, which was about 10 minutes from his address

Ethenm Orhon, of Deacons Walk, Hampton, jailed for 20 years over stabbing spree in Sainsbury's car park

Orhon then went on a violent rampage for 10 minutes, stabbing his victims multiple times, including a 68-year-old, a 63-year-old, and a 71-year-old.

A 53-year-old was stabbed 12 times.

On approaching his fifth victim he was distracted by two school boys who were warning people of the danger.

The two youngsters from Hampton Grammar School may have prevented further bloodshed, Kingston Crown Court heard during the trial.

They warned other innocent passers-by that Orhon was armed and dangerous, called police and stayed on the phone with the 999 operator during the rampage.

For their bravery, Judge Paul Dodgson awarded the boys £1,000 each.

Police arrived on the scene and tried to confront Orhon who at first did not respond.

As an officer pulled out a Taser, the attacker threw down his weapon.

Orhon was arrested, then charged the following day.

A jury took four hours and 55 minutes to find Orhon guilty of all charges.

Two of his victims broke down in tears as the verdicts were read out.

Watch police and paramedics arrive at the scene of the stabbings

Video thumbnail, EXCLUSIVE: Hampton Sainsbury's car park stabbing
Video Loading

Whilst in custody an officer recorded that Orhon had said "I shouldn't have done it" and "it was a loss of control".

During his police and medical interviews, Orhon said: "I became a different person.

"There was one thought in my mind - which was go home, grab the spare knife and assault people.

"I feel I had to do it and finish the job. I had to obey the order."

He also said: "I came from that [police] station to home with strange feelings... I felt very, very bad."

He added: "These were innocent people. They have done nothing to me. No conversation. I was out of control of myself. I was just stabbing and stabbing."

An investigation was carried out by detectives from Richmond.

A statement from the Met Police described it as a "vicious stabbing spree".

Detective Constable Leo Farnon, the investigating officer, said: "I am pleased with the verdict and hope that this justice can bring some closure to the four victims who suffered appalling injuries as a result of Orhon's actions.

"I would also like to thank the two boys who bravely distracted the armed attacker, whilst warning others of the danger he posed and calling police.

"Without their intervention it is possible that Orhon's attacks could have continued and resulted in further victims."

Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.

You can even set it to receive push notifications for all the breaking news in your area.

Available to download from the App Store or Google Play for Android now!