A shisha lounge in Ealing has been fined after customers were found to be smoking indoors.
Owners of Fawanees restaurant in Hanger Lane were hit with a fine of over £19,000 after officers from Ealing Council carried out an unannounced inspection.
The council officers, who were working with HM Revenues and Customs and police licencing officers, discovered customers smoking cigarettes and shisha pipes indoors.
It followed a total of 17 complaints from residents to the council about shisha bars across the borough in the past year.
Officers initially gave Fawanees' owners and manager advice on smoke-free legislation, which prohibited smoking in all public enclosed or substantially enclosed spaces from 2007, which also includes shisha smoke.
But after officers followed up with another visit, they found more customers smoking inside the premises and referred the owners and manager for prosecution.
Sami Mousa, director of Roof Catering; Mohammad Abd-Elfattah, manager of Fawanees; and Roof Catering owner Abd-Elfattah all pleaded guilty at Ealing Magistrates' Court on October 3.
Councillor Ranjit Dheer, cabinet member for community services and safety, said: "Our officers work closely with local businesses to help them to operate within the law and they give lots of advice and support to help them to be well-run and safe.
"Smoking in an enclosed public space is illegal. All businesses know this and most obey the law.
"Fawanees considered themselves to be above the law and that is something that we will not tolerate.
"I am pleased to see such a hefty fine being handed down to them. It shows that both the council and the courts are serious about enforcement and punishing those who openly break the rules."
Getwestlondon has gone to Fawanees for comment.