A review of all appliances used in Hammersmith and Fulham Council buildings will take place after it emerged the huge tower block blaze in Shepherd’s Bush was caused by a faulty tumble dryer.

The announcement by the council comes after firefighters said a faulty Indesit tumble dryer was behind the blaze , which struck Shepherd’s Court - one of the four tower blocks on Charecroft Estate - on August 19, destroying two flats and severely damaging two others .

The fire was the latest to be caused by a faulty machine awaiting repair, and comes after London Fire Brigade (LFB) launched a campaign to make it easier for customers to find out if their product needed recalling .

The aftermath of a fire which was caused by a tumble dryer

Hammersmith MP Andy Slaughter has also spoken of the matter , calling for a debate on the matter and writing to Indesit.

As well as carrying out the review of appliances on its properties, the council is also writing to all residents and business in the borough to alert them to the dangers and to urge them to check whether their dryers are on the list of models causing concern, before taking the necessary steps to protect their homes, families and businesses.

Following the fire, which resulted in 26 homes being evacuated and 20 families moved into temporary accommodation , LFB called on Indesit’s parent company Whirlpool to change its advice to people who a machine awaiting repair.

Video thumbnail, Shepherds Bush fire trapped people
Video Loading

The manufacturers have been advising owners, such as Michael Howe in Fulham, to carry on using the appliance but to not leave it unattended while in use.

LFB is instead urging people to immediately stop using tumble dryers that are subject to product recall or safety notices.

'If I had a faulty appliance, I'd unplug it straight away'

London Fire Commissioner Ron Dobson said: “If my kitchen had one of the recalled goods in it, I would unplug it straight away until it has been checked and repaired.

"The speed with which the fire took hold shows how dangerous a faulty tumble dryer can be that’s why we are calling for Whirlpool to urgently change their advice to consumers.

Video thumbnail, Shepherd's Bush flat fire
Video Loading

“If your appliance is subject to a safety or recall notice or you think there is something wrong with it our advice is simple. Unplug it immediately and contact the manufacturer or a qualified repair technician.”

A spokesperson for H&F said: “Anyone with any concerns about their tumble dryer should contact their manufacturer straight away and ask for their dryers to be replaced.”

No one was seriously hurt in the fire.

A petition set up by LFB as part of its campaign has been signed by more than 2,300 people.