Some of Britain’s largest construction company bosses have urged the government to approve Heathrow expansion.
In a letter to the Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne the businesses reminded him to keep to his words that “we are the builders”, which were made during the conservative conference last year, as part of his vision to build much-needed infrastructure that the country needs.
The 13 companies which include Balfour Beatty and Laing O’Rourke Plc, both which have previously worked on construction projects at Heathrow’s terminal 2 and 5, said they are ready to deliver the nation’s largest privately funded infrastructure project, in the letter dated Friday (February 5).
The letter highlights Heathrow’s £11bn investment over the last decade has provided steady work for UK construction companies and it can not afford to delay on a project worth an estimated £15.6bn to the UK supply chain.
The letter stated: “Projects such as Heathrow expansion allow companies like ours to continue to invest in tens of thousands of skilled jobs this country badly needs and new construction techniques that will benefit developers in the UK.
“You said recently that we cannot be complacent and assume that ‘the good economic news will just keep rolling in. Last year was the worst for global growth since the crash and this year opens with a dangerous cocktail of new threats from around the world.’
“Coupled with these threats is the OECD’s 2015 UK economic survey that said the UK has spent less on infrastructure than other OECD countries over the past three decades.
“Heathrow expansion will bring with it a £15.6bn order book to the UK supply chain.”
The bosses of the 13 companies have called on Mr Osborne to signal a green light and help create a better Britain by driving investment in the UK labour market, creating thousands of new skilled jobs and a legacy of expertise that can be sold around the world.
Heathrow CEO John Holland-Kaye will address business leaders including the UK construction industry in his first speech since the government’s response to the Airports Commission in December later on Monday afternoon (February 8).
The 13 construction companies who collectively sent a letter:
Nick Roberts, Chief Executive Officer UK & Europe, Atkins
Leo Quinn, Group Chief Executive, Balfour Beatty
Stephen Fox CBE, Chief Executive, BAM Nuttall Ltd
Alasdair Reisner, Chief Executive, Civil Engineering Contractors Association (CECA)
Mario Mostoles, Managing Director UK & Ireland, Ferrovial Agroman
Toby Courtauld, Chief Executive, Great Portland Estates plc
Ray O’Rourke KBE, Chairman and Group Chief Executive, Laing O’Rourke Plc
Mark Reynolds, Chief Executive, Mace
Nick Fletcher, Managing Director Infrastructure, Morgan Sindall
Keith Howells, Chairman, Mott MacDonald
David Sleath, Chief Executive, SEGRO
Vincent Clancy, Chief Executive Officer, Turner & Townsend
Mark Dobson, Chief Executive, Wilson James Ltd