news

Career criminal facing jail for chatting on the phone instead of helping dying motorcyclist he had crashed into

Darren February will be sentenced on May 12, as a court hears victim's daughter writes to her dad begging him to 'come home'

Darren February is due to be sentenced for killing dad Kenneth Baldwin in December last year

A dangerous driver who chatted on the phone while the motorcyclist he had crashed into moments earlier lay dying on the road, is due to be sentenced this week.

Career criminal Darren February was speeding on the wrong side of a road in Holland Park just before Christmas when he smashed into 52-year-old Kenneth Baldwin.

CCTV footage showed the 32-year-old, from North Kensington, casually talking on the phone and trying to remove evidence linking him to the vehicle in the aftermath of the collision, which occurred on St Ann’s Road in the early hours of December 14.

The victim’s 11-year-old daughter now sends text messages and letters to her dad asking him to come home, Mr Baldwin’s ex-partner of 18 years revealed in a victim impact statement read out to Southwark Crown Court.

February, of Octavia House, has an lengthy criminal record dating back to when he was 12 for offences which includes burglary, assault and theft.

He was involved in a road traffic collision while disqualified in July 2006 after he crashed into a bollard and ran off, and jailed for six months for failing to report a car accident in Portobello Road in 2007.

He was sentenced to four more years in prison in 2013 for assault, affray, criminal damage and a number of thefts, and was on licence at the time of the fatal crash, near Shepherd's Bush. He has since been recalled to prison.

'He showed little regard for the man lying on the pavement'

The court was told February was driving his ex-girlfriend’s Vauxhall Astra at speeds between 34 and 58mph when he hit Mr Baldwin’s Honda ST 1100 head-on.

He was then captured getting out of the Astra and walking away chatting on his mobile phone, before returning to remove items from the car.

Prosecutor Louise French said: “The defendant showed little regard to the man lying on the pavement.

“On the contrary he walked back to the car and retrieved some property and then a resident who had heard the crash saw him jogging off.

“All this time he is still neglecting the deceased.”

Lorry driver Mr Baldwin, a father of one, was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics at 5:29am but police could not trace the driver. February was arrested a day later after he was caught stealing from a telephone kiosk.

He gave the name Robert Fagan and was taken to Holborn police station where his fingerprints were taken. February was then linked to the fatal hit-and-run accident and denied he was the Astra driver.

'Prison is too good for him'

However, in court he admitted causing death by dangerous driving and causing death while driving uninsured. A denied a charge of aggravated vehicle taking which will remain on file.

Mr Baldwin’s ex-partner of 18 years said prison was too good for February in her victim impact statement, which also detailed the pain she and their daughter are going through. Meryl Sadler-Baldwin said: “I am having nightmares, so many emotions and feelings of guilt.

“The news of Ken’s death devastated me and I cannot accept it has happened. I miss Ken so much.

“Our daughter had been texting and writing to Ken asking him to come home”

“Prison is too good for the person that did this. He has taken Ken away and he can live. If he had gone to Ken he might of saved him.”

February is due to be sentenced on Thursday (May 12).

View full mobile page